Parish History

Sacred Heart of Jesus History

1844     First settlers moved to Bay View and St. Francis area.
 
1855     St. Francis Seminary built from land purchased from Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi.
 
1866     Little building on St. Thomas More High School land, then known as Pio Nono Campus,
              became the first parish school.
 
1868     Kilian Flasch appointed first pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus parish.
 
1871     Plans formulated for Sacred Heart’s first church with 65 families registered as
             parishioners prior to this parishioners 
attended Mass at St. Francis Seminary.
 
1872     First church construction completed.
 
1873     New school building construction completed in less than one year.
 
1876     First burial in location of present-day cemetery.
 
1885     New church was built with a membership of 125 families.
 
1888     New school constructed to include two classrooms and living quarters above for the sisters.
 
1888     Deceased parishioners reinterred in parish cemetery from the cemetery on the Seminary grounds.
 
1904     Fr. Philip Klein begins serving as pastor of Sacred Heart which was to last 52 years.
 
1930s   Additional classrooms added to parish school.
 
1958     Plans begun for new church, school and rectory.
 
1961     Cornerstone dedicated for new building.
 
1994     Alexandra Guiliano becomes first lay administrator of parish.
 
2001     Fr. Bob Surges becomes pastor of Sacred Heart.
 
2010     Portions of parish property sold to create senior apartments and remodeled worship space.
 
2010     Weekend Masses celebrated at Clare Hall while construction begins.
 
2011      Fr. Bob retires as pastor of Sacred Heart.  Happy Retirement Fr.!!!!
 
2011      In December Sacred Heart Senior Apartments welcomes its first residents.
 
2012      In January Fr. Jan Kieliszewski becomes pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus and Nativity
               of the Lord Parishes.
 
2012      March 25 Dedication of the renovated Sacred Heart of Jesus Church by the Most
               Reverend Jerome E. Listecki, Archbishop of
Milwaukee.  We are finally home!!
 
2015      Renovation of Parish House complete with a March move-in date.
 
2015      Deacon Al Foeckler appointed parish director.
 
2016      Deacon Al completes his duties at Sacred Heart.  Fr. Arul Ponnaiyan from Holy Apostles
               Parish in New Berlin begins serving as
parish administrator for Sacred Heart and St. Paul Parishes.
 
2016      Tom Fogarty appointed as Deacon for Sacred Heart of Jesus.
 
2017      Design options and funds acquired for new stained glass windows for the East and West    
              windows inside the church. Rendering of Sunrise/Sunset windows by Lisa Heideman of
              Studio 3 Art and Design selected. Windows are expected to be installed in April of 2018.
 
2018     Planning begins for Sacred Heart's 150th Anniversary in December.
 
2018     Deacon Tom Fogarty moved up North. Deacon Pat LaPointe was assigned to take his place.
 
2019     Sacred Heart of Jesus 150th Anniversary Opening Celebration with the Most Reverend
             James T. Schuerman, Auxiliary Bishop
of Milwaukee - Saturday, December 29, 2018.
 
2019     August 17, Fr. Arul is officially installed as the Pastor of St. Paul and Sacred Heart of
             Jesus parishes.
 
2019     150th Anniversary Closing Celebration with the Most Reverend Jerome E. Listecki,
              Archbishop of Milwaukee - Sunday, December 29, 2019.
 
2020     Covid-19 Pandemic closes church and all ministries. Fr. Arul provided live stream  
              Masses, adoration and rosaries.